German niche ideas for Print on Demand campaigns
Creating a German niche Print on Demand campaign is. a great way to diversify your product lines. Currently, English is the most popular language in the world. And with 1.1 billion speakers worldwide, English speakers make up roughly 15% of the global population! However, since most sellers create and promote POD products in English, it has become an oversaturated market. Why not try a secondary language like German?
Why pursue a German niche?
There are roughly 130 million people who speak German as their first or second language. It is the most widely spoken language in the European Union which means there is a massive market to target. In fact, the language is growing in popularity. According to Ulrich Ammon, an expert on the German language, there are 289 million people that have learned German as a foreign language! At the moment, there are roughly 15.4 million people currently learning the language and that number continues to increase.
If you have already been selling Print on Demand in English or your Mother tongue, testing new niches in another language is one method to diversify your lines and increase sales. Keep reading if you are interested in pursuing a new niche in a new German market.
German niche ideas to consider
There are a ton of interests out there that German people and German-speaking people enjoy. Based on current trends, here are a few German niche ideas that we think could do well:
- Beer – There is a massive drinking culture in Germany. Oktoberfest is the largest beer festival and travelling funfair in the world and it’s hosted in Munich, Germany. In 2012, Germany ranked third in Europe in terms of per-capita beer consumption.
- Cars & motorsport – With so many makes and models made in Germany, there’s a whole subculture of people in the country that are obsessed with cars.
- Gardening – This hobby has boomed recently due to environmentally-conscious millennials looking to grow their own food and be a little greener. Many people in Germany have been wanting to take over plots for this sustainable activity.
- Music – This universal interest is also massive in Germany. Some of the top genres include rock, pop, oldies, evergreens, and German “schlager” music.
- Traveling – German people love globe trotting. In fact, a study revealed that 50.9% of Germans over 25 believe that traveling is an important part of their lives.
- Sports – Who doesn’t like getting a little active. Some of the most popular sports in Germany include soccer/football, motorsport, handball, basketball and more.
- Books – According to Statista data gathered between 2016 and 2020, the number of German readers interested in books has been increasing.
- Careers and occupations – Specific careers and jobs can do particularly well across Europe. We have had several German-based sellers find massive success in niche jobs like nursing and firefighting.
If none of these niches are of any interest to you, test out one of your own. Chances are, if you have an interest in something, there is probably a market of people in Germany that like it too. Testing out your niche POD lines is the only way to truly know if it has the potential for success.
German niches: Research and design
Once you’ve decided on your niche, conduct some research and get started on the design. You can check out the competition on Amazon, Etsy, or other online marketplaces. See what kind of artwork is currently out there. Perform a quick Google search online to find other designs that may spark inspiration! Pinterest is another great platform that showcases a lot of Print on Demand products. Not sure how to use it? Read our blog post where we discuss how you can use Pinterest to find, promote, and sell POD products. And whether you are working with a graphic designer or creating the artwork by yourself, be sure to check out our blog on the Dos and Don’ts when Creating your Print on Demand Designs.
If you prefer to watch something, check out one of our videos from Moteefe’s YouTube channel, How to create original designs for niche audiences.
Recycle a niche
However, not everyone needs to start from scratch. For sellers that have already created product lines in the past, try reusing your previous lines. If you have already found success in them once, consider retargeting to a new audience. Translate your lines to German and create new Facebook ads targeting German-speaking regions. If you’re unsure how to translate your text, use our Facebook Ads Translation Guide.
Or, reach out to one of our Success Managers on Facebook. You can message Aidan, Ana, or Flor in our Facebook Group, Moteefe x Marcazo Global. Our community is always available to help you out whenever we can.
Hopefully, this has inspired you to create a German niche product line or revamp your last line to include a bit of German touch. Once you have a better understanding of translating your lines to a new language, the possibilities are endless! The Internet is borderless. Next up, you can translate your lines to Dutch, French, Spanish and more.
For more information on launching and marketing your Print on Demand campaigns, check out our other blogs on Moteefe Academy.
And don’t forget, if you want to join our community of POD sellers, join our Facebook group Moteefe x Marcazo Global. There, you can watch helpful broadcasts on all things related to Print on Demand and discuss POD strategies.